May 7, 2009

One Man's GeekGasm for the New Star Trek

Saw Star Trek tonight at 7:30PM with brother in-law/fellow fan here in NYC. Like many old-timers was skeptcal but hopeful, having seen the trailers.My highest praise is this: an hour after watching it I was online ordering tickets for another showing tomorrow night, this time with the Mrs. and one of my nieces. I simply cannot wait to see it another 24 hours. It was that good. It hit all the right marks: the story was well-written, the actors were both in-character but somehow brought their own style to them, there were some really big WTF moments, and at the end you had a Trek future that will be forever different... yet comfortably familiar. All the minor design tweaks don't offend, the one or 2 "cute" moments were thankfully brief, Scotty's sidekick (which could have ended up an Ewok) was really more like that co-pilot that flew with Lando in ROTJ - a bit strange yet not to the point of being annoying.The final minutes, when the whole cast is one the bridge ready to set off on a new adventure felt... so damn right.I won't start whining about "oh, I hope they don't screw up the next one" or other such nonsense, as I am still buzzing off the high of this film. I can honestly say I haven't felt about a Trek film like this in about 25 years, since Wrath of Khan. This movie matches the former in its ability to hold the audience's interest, and that is saying something. Finally, good for you Young Spock: Earth girls are easy, but you picked the right one to bear your pain to.Go see it. jdk

No comments: