August 7, 2009

Last 2 Weeks: The Prolouge

Before I go and blog about the last 2 weeks - and believe me they need blogging about - I have an aside. I don't usually have these (in fact, I believe it's my first one), so prick up your ears:


Earlier today I was in one of our many discount chain pharmacies here in the Big City, buying anti-stroke medication and cigarettes. Yes, I realize the hypocrascy inherant in a sentence like that; you'll just have to accept that I was smoking long, long before the medication was perscribed and will probably smoke long after I am dead.

Anyway, I get to the counter and ask the clerk for my brand - Kool XLs - when this guy pops in the front door of the place with a look of desperation on his face. I'm not lying here: desperation. Both the guy in the next line over and myself notice this, as he blurts to the clerk, "You have anything to do with digital watches?"

In the second and a half it took her to shake off his gaze and reply, several things managed to make thier way onto the rollercoaster that is my imagination. The most subject-related were:

1) Does he mean "Do YOU have anything to do with digital watches?" or "Do you have ANYTHING to do with digital watches?". See, these are 2 different questions. Did the clerk posess any digital watch items or service acumen? Or maybe she had something to do the manufacture, distribution, sales or marketing of them?

2) Yes or no? Is there a WRONG answer? Will saying 'yes' or 'no' result in his immediate departure, a lengthy tirade or a bloodbath? Do I need to move away quietly, or should I tackle this guy. Cause he looked like that kind of guy, in both appearance and behavior.

Before long, the girl replied "no", and he quickly departed. Those in the immediate area gave each other wary, knowing glances. I couldn't stand it, so I blurted out: "At least he didn't pull out a gun and go 'ack ack ack'!".

Believe it or not, they all laughed. They were thinking the same thing I was.

And that's why we worry in NYC...

jdk

No comments: