January 5, 2010

2010: That's Two Zero One Zero, or Twenty-Ten, or...


So... how's by you? I've got about half an hour before I gots to take Bubba to TaeKwonDo, so I'm going to be brief (like I already don't neglect this blog as it is):

Bubba got his yellow belt before Christmas, so of course we were obligated to get all the crap we promised him if he got his yellow belt. Although why a 6 year-old needs a $130 remote controlled dinosaur is beyond me. But of course his fav gifts were Wii - related (Super Mario Bros. Wii, Rabbids Go Home, Luigi's Mansion and Bowser's Inside Story for the DS). On top of that, the Mrs. bribed him with a new copy of Mario Kart DS if he can write with his pencil held properly. And since he does, that's another new game on Sat.

Got the Mrs. a 50 year-old ice cream scoop. Believe me, she loved it. it has something to do with the phrase "they don't make them like this anymore". So she got that and some other things.

Me, the most important gift I got was this thing called 'blu'. It's not exactly a quit smoking device - probably because they can't legally say it or something - but it works an awful lot like other quit smoking devices. Except for one thing: it's sticking this time.

See, I never liked the gums or patches or pills because they weren't...well, they weren't a cigarette. And any REAL smoker knows it's not just the Nicotine but the whole package that keeps you addicted. These guys figured that out too, so they made an electronic cigarette that gives you doses of Nicotine in amounts you're used to, lets you blow out simulated "smoke" (really water vapor from the atomizer inside) and even has a blue light on the tip to simulate the burning of a cigarette (it's not red so people can tell you're not actually blowing out cancer-causing chemicals).

These guys went to a lot of trouble to make something that can 'fool' a smoker into thinking he's smoking - and it works. Two weeks now. And whenever I'm ready I can change the amount of Nicotine in a cartridge, all the way down to zero. So that's why I consider it a quit smoking device. And to be truthful it's lasted longer that any other I've been on and hasn't caused me any grief yet. Oh, I suppose when my lungs finally spit out that last bit of congealed tar and start growing cilia again I'll go through some issues, but at least I'll have Nicotine to get through it.
And then (and ONLY then) will I cut down.

New Years was boring, just the way I like it. Bubba got his first pair of eyeglasses and hates them. I'm still pushing out stones, but not as bad as before. Grad classes don't start again for about 3 weeks. I'm using them to loaf around and sleep as much as I can.

Next month I'm going to have the carpet in the dining room taken up and put down something decent, like wood flooring. Then get a new dining room table and chairs. Maybe paint the room too, but no promises. Plus, have to get a platform bed for the bedroom. Just the platform; we have a good mattress.

After all that, maybe a mini vaca. We'll see.

jdk

No comments: